How to be a SUCCESSFUL ARTIST
19 September, 2018
When wanting to become a successful artist, the most obvious goal is to increase art sales.
The traditional (offline) ways of doing this, such as becoming represented by a gallery, attending art fairs, or paying for magazine adverts are difficult and expensive with limited results due to being based in only one location. Even having your own website built is hard, with limited results due to the cost of driving traffic to it.
The obvious, quickest and cheapest way to gain more exposure for your art is to go online with an art platform or ‘Online art gallery’ because these sites have thousands more visitors (otherwise known in internet land as ‘traffic’) than you could ever hope to gain to your own artist website. The only issue here is that you could get lost amongst thousands of other artists – that’s why it’s important to choose the right platform, one that is niche, or boutique and accepts only quality artists, but has a site that is search engine optimised to bring you traffic based on your art style.
This article shows you how you can best use all the online and offline methods available to you, to gain higher sales of your art. We explain ‘Best Practice Art Marketing for Artists’ and what art platforms should be doing for you and how to best use them.
Traditional marketing techniques with their high costs, known as ‘Outbound Marketing’ have been overtaken by ‘Content Marketing’ in recent years because it is far more affordable and accessible, and brings in much better results if you know how to do it (Even for the biggest companies) but you need to be consistent, because this is a long-game approach. It allows entities to bypass paid media and become the media.
So your art platform needs to be great at this, and support you in ‘Best Practise Art Content Marketing’ which allows you to really connect with your audience and includes articles (blogging), videos, featuring in magazines for both online and offline reading: note that the articles you create should be keyword optimised to drive maximum traffic to your art platform listings, and your art platform can advise you on what to write about yourself to get maximum exposure. With the help of on-page SEO keywords, keyword targeted articles and emotional connection with art lovers, your platform can assist you to gain followers, contact them regularly and make sales. Artfuly has created a platform to support you in achieving this and these are our recommendations:
1. Have great art, photographed well and cropped to the edges for upload
2. Join a popular art site, upload your art and keep it up to date i.e mark sold items as sold. Regularly upload fresh art at intervals.
3. Include many keywords in your art descriptions – E.g Garry Purchase who’s style is ‘Aboriginal Art’ should use the term ‘Indigenous Australian Art’ for one article as this is likely to bring traffic to his profile – we can advise you on the right keywords to use on request once you are an Artfuly artist.
4. After upload, share your art out from artfuly.com on all your social media from the artfuly.com listing i.e. Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, FB and Linked in (for the Interior Design market)
5. Create an instagram profile such as ‘InGarrysArtStudio’ and regularly take photos of artworks in progress. We can push those photos into your artists page to help art lovers connect with your art and encourage them to ‘follow’ you, which means they will receive emails each time you upload a new artwork or article.
5. Create at least 1 x 30-60 second video of you in your studio creating an artwork which shows your proces. You can then embed that into your artists profile page to assist art lovers to understand you and connect with your art
6. Create articles about your art. e.g. Aboriginal artist Garry Purchase would do well to have an article called ‘Indigenous Australian Art’ because this is a popular search term
Please click the image and download this free resource
to your desktop to read the full details shown in smaller print.
Please note, this article features an as-yet unpublished Artists Profile Page, and so the advice here is relevant now for content creation, but only relevant for Artfuly.com site operation once this page has gone live.
Find out how to:
Artfuly is your online art platform partner working to increase your art sales.
European based Artfuly curates original hand-created art (& limited editions) from the best emerging global talent with prices ranging from 60 -10,000 Euros with free delivery & returns.
The easy to use interface allows art lovers to create their own collection based on colours, styles, size ranges and keywords. With global concierge delivery, buyers can try any artwork on their wall for 7 days.
‘Best practice social media posting for artists’
and ‘SEO and Keywords for artists’ when they’re published
Tags: art sales, success